Junior Training Weeks
We are keen to get children sailing and working towards the recognized RYA dinghy sailing qualifications from an early age and are proud to offer a variety of courses for all children in a secure and friendly environment. Courses are aimed at children from 8 - 17 years of age with all abilities catered for.
Monday, 30th July - Friday 3rd August 2018
Junior Saturday Sailing, 2018
Our Lion Cubs, OnBoard and Lions Race Training groups offer fun, informal sessions for children (age five upwards) on selected Saturdays from April to October. Levels range from absolute beginners to those with RYA Level 4 and times vary depending on the tide and group (please see below).
Each session starts with a briefing, with children already changed and boats rigged. An adult must remain at RHYC throughout.
What you’ll need:
• Your own sailing clothes and footwear, appropriate for the conditions on the day. We don’t provide wetsuits or waterproofs.
• Your own buoyancy aid or foam-filled lifejacket (EN 393 or IS0 12402-5) to be worn at the water’s edge, as well as when afloat.
• Sun hat / woolly hat.
• Water bottle and snack. If the OnBoard or Lions Race Training session runs across lunch-time, please bring a packed lunch to eat out on the water.
• To be water confident and able to swim.
Junior sailing at RHYC is only made possible thanks to volunteers. Please get in touch with Rosie Davey (email@example.com) if you're able to help with rescue boat cover, shore party duty or instructing.
Junior sailing groups
Lion Cubs is a new group for 2018, aimed at children aged five to seven, who want to give sailing a go. The emphasis is on building confidence and swapping in and out of boats, rather than each child being allotted their own boat for the full session. Due to the sailors’ age, Lion Cubs will last an hour and a half, rather than three hours, will start later in the year (5th May) and will finish earlier (15th September). Club Optimists will be provided so there is no need to hire a boat for this group.
Offering a fun introduction to sailing from age eight upwards (seven-year-olds will be considered on a discretionary basis), these three-hour sessions aim to get children out on the water and learning new skills.
When numbers allow, this group will be split into Beginners and Intermediates. Intermediates will have completed at least a season of junior sailing at RHYC or have their RYA Level 2 or above. Beginners and their parents will be told by their instructor or OnBoard organiser when they are ready to move up to the Intermediate group. If you’re unsure which group to book your child in to please check with the office. Due to the weather, we may decide not to start a Beginners group until 5th May.
Optimists, Teras and Toppers are available to hire through the RHYC website for those who don’t have their own boat. We strongly encourage those in the Intermediate group to buy their own Optimist as club boats are set up for beginners.
When they're ready, Lions Race Training gives juniors the chance to go on to develop their seamanship, as well as racing skills.
It’s largely sailed in Optimists but Teras and Toppers are welcome. Sailors should be at RYA Level 3 or above, be capable of self-rescue and be able to sail around a triangular course competently in a Force 3. Unfortunately, the club’s Optimists are not suitable to hire for this group as they are not set up for racing.
All bookings and payment are to be made online for places and boat hire. We make three sessions available to book at a time but request that if you book, you do use the space or let us know if you can no longer attend. Refunds for unused places cannot be given.
1. Both OnBoard and Lions Race Training take place at the same time but with different instructors.
2. Members can book OnBoard and Lions Race Training for £10 per session and non-members £25.00. Members can book Lion Cubs for £5 a session and non-members for £20 a session. Please contact the office for more about how to become a member. Cadet membership in 2018 is £50.
3. Optimist, Tera and Topper hire will be charged at £5 per session and are allocated at the time of booking, subject to availability. The club’s Optimists are not suitable for hire for the Lions Race Training group and boats will be provided for Lion Cubs.
4. As sessions are often full, please let the office know if your child is not able to attend.
5. If the session is full and you’d like to be added to a waiting list, please contact the office and Rosie Davey (firstname.lastname@example.org).
6. Please join the Junior Sailing RHYC Facebook page to find out more.
Dates and times for OnBoard and Lions Race Training (please note sailors should be rigged and changed ready for the start time)
14th April 1000 – 1300
28th April 1000 – 1300
5th May 1300 – 1600
19th May 1300 – 1600
2nd June 1300 – 1600
16th June 1230 – 1530
30th June 1100 – 1400
28th July 1030 – 1330
18th August to be followed by a BBQ 1500 – 1800
25th August 1030 – 1330
8th September 0930 – 1230
15th September 1400 – 1700
22nd September 0930 – 1230
29th September 1300 – 1600
13th October 1230 – 1530
Dates and start times for Lion Cubs (please note sailors should be changed ready for the start time):
5th May 1330 – 1500
19th May 1330 – 1500
2nd June 1330 – 1500
16th June 1300 – 1430
30th June 1130 – 1300
28th July 1100 – 1230
18th August to be followed by a BBQ 1530 – 1700
25th August 1100 – 1230
8th September 1000 – 1130
15th September 1430 – 1600
A quote from a parent:
“Just wanted to drop you a note to say how good the On Board is at RHYC. I spoke to the office yesterday who were very happy to roll the payment for the unattended session the other day to the next one and over all they are great to deal with. We're finding the whole experience friendly, organised, safe, value for money and fun and the location is great too.”